Monday, August 06, 2007

Time, it is a flyin'!

Ya'll, I am just about TOO excited that school is getting ready to start again. Down where we used to live, and where we both used to teach, school is starting in three days. I don't think I'm quite that ready, but I'm ready to go, probably REALLY ready to go in about three weeks.

So here's why I'm excited about going back...

Crayons. I LOVE the way that they smell, especially when you first open them up. And you know what's funny? If you buy some of the "generic" crayons, they don't color as well as the NAME-BRAND ones. You know the ones I'm talking 'bout. Sounds like STAYOLA? Mmm hmm. You know 'em.

Okay. Here's the second thing I'm excited about...

Now, let me explain myself. It's not the idea of using the pencil that gets me so jazzed; it's the actual process of getting them sharpened and lined up. I think I have a problem, actually. I like to have them sharpened, and put into a nice little cup, all pretty and ready to go. It's when they're all nubby and gross-looking that I get depressed.

Moving on! The next thing I like the idea of more than the actual thing itself...

I LOVE the brown bags. Actually, I think it's simply the brown paper sacks that I enjoy more than actually packing lunches. Honestly, I haven't used a paper sack for lunch in... wow. A really long time. I can't remember the last time I used a paper sack. You know what's funny? Up here in New York, we have to recycle. Our garbage service now allows us to put all of our paper recycles together in a big plastic bin, but it used to make us put them into the big paper grocery bags. Well, there are only a couple of grocery stores here that offer paper versus plastic, and I went in a while ago, bought some groceries, and asked the cashier to give me some extra paper sacks. She was like, "What?" I don't think they call them "sacks" up here. That pretty much summed up just how southern I am inside! But what's cool about the paper sacks is all the different arts and crafts you can do with them. When I taught 4th grade, we did all kinds of things with them. When I taught the book Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, we made owls from them. Pretty neat stuff, huh?

I guess teachers enjoy going back to school more than the students, huh?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Popped over here from MOG.

Wow... you sound like my baby sis who teaches 1st grade. She always love when summer vaca starts but gets antsy to get back into the swing of things teaching... it is truly an "in the blood" thing, isn't it? Kinda like what I do too... can't get away from it no matter how exhausted you feel by it at times. Being called to what you do... that's what it is. Blessings to you!